Scripture: Enter through the narrow gate, for broad is the gate and wide is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it; (Matt. 7:13 NIV).
In this teaching, I am highlighting the subtle ways that the enemy tries to gain access into the lives of unsuspecting individuals. He’s always watching to see what state of mind we are operating in. If you’re operating in a worldly mindset, satan will likely enter through the open door in your life.
Guard Your Gates
Open doors are open gates. Your gates are your eyes, ears, and mouth. The enemy gains access into your life via your gates. The things you watch (eye gates), what you listen to (ear gates), and your conversations (mouth gates). The lack of discipline and obedience in these areas can numb your physical senses and hinder your spiritual growth.
Watching explicit movies and “R” rated programs; witnessing people lust after one another, and having random sex partners opens the eye gates. Listening to gossip, using profanity, and negative conversations open the ear and mouth gates. Disobedience leads to various open doors.
Words have the power to produce life or death. Words are also seeds. When negative words (seeds) are sown, negative fruit is produced. When positive words (seeds) are sown, positive fruit is produced. Spoken words have weight, power, and authority. Words give life, and they can produce death. They can be heavy or light, therefore, be mindful of your words because they matter. You will have to give an account for every idle word you speak on judgment day; (Matt. 12:36).
Be careful of your actions; somethings may appear innocent, but later on, it could have an effect on the condition of your heart. When the heart is full, the issues of life overflows from it; (Prov. 4:23). It’s a fact that after 30 days of repetitious behavior, patterns are set, and eventually, those patterns become a lifestyle. These are subtle ways in which the enemy gains access to our lives, causing a negative change to take place both internally and externally.
While you’re spending time attending to idol things, the enemy is watching you. When the enemy comes, he comes in like a flood; (Isa. 59:19). He comes to steal, kill, and destroy; (John 10:8-10). Avoid the enemy at all costs! When you guard your heart, you’re defending your life.
“Dear Lord, help me to find the narrow road that leads to the narrow gate that leads to life.”
- Don’t be wise in your own eyes, fear the Lord, and depart from evil; (Prov. 3:3-9).
- Don’t keep company with the ungodly. Avoid ungodly counsel; (Ps. 1:1-3).
- Avoid naysayers and those who are critical of holy things; (Matt. 10:18-20).
- Avoid drunkenness. Most people who drink at all hours of the day or night are not very happy. They are in search of happiness in all the wrong places; (Eph. 5:19).
- Avoid wicked activities that hurt and/or destroy. Hookah smoking and smudging (burning sage) can do more harm to your health than good. Some people use smudging to cleanse the air, but it’s also associated with unclean spirits. Alcohol is also called “spirits”; these activities open doors for demonic presence. (1st Corinthians 6:12, 19-20).
For the Lord gives wisdom, and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; (Prov. 2:6 NIV).
- Don’t believe every spirit, compare what you’re listening to the against the Word of God; (1 John 4:1; 2nd Tim. 2:15).
- Reading the Word of God daily prepares you for the day ahead and the task at hand; (Ps. 2).
- Protect your gates and do a self-check for unexpected open doors; (reiteration).
- Above all else, guard your heart for out of the heart flows the issues of life; (Prov. 4:23).
In Conclusion of the Matter
Christ-likeness consists of declaring the victory even before the race starts. The race begins with God in first place in your heart. Next, dress in your spiritual armor, a warrior is prepared before going to a battle; (Eph. 6:13-18). Jesus overcame every obstacle that we would ever encounter so that we will be able to live life more abundantly. It’s a matter of perception, obedience, and maturity. The enemy is after your mind, stop him dead in his tracks! Speak life and live with purpose; your future depends on you.
Joy and peace to your house, in Jesus’ Name, Amen.
*Eye Photo, compliments of Unsplash